Friday, May 3, 2013

Kitchen Makeover Challenge Reveal

Okay friends!  It's here - Reveal Day!

How busy was your April?  Mine was crazy busy tackling some areas from scratch and others that just needed some tweeking.  So, let's get started!

Kitchen

kitchen



Kitchen



kitchen


Several years ago I transferred all of my spices into these small jars that I found at Bed Bath & Beyond.  I write the expiration dates on a round sticker and place on the bottom of the jars to ensure freshness.


In a previous post here you may remember I added Fridge Coasters to my refrigerator which I am totally in love with.


kitchen

I spilled red hummingbird food the other day and really put the coaster to the test.  It passed with flying colors!  No clean up and no sign of a spill!


kitchen

This cabinet used to make me crazy.  I removed several items that I don't use very often and then added  a couple of cabinet shelf organizers for easier access to heavy glassware.



After our kids all moved out, I noticed that the pantry door wasn't swinging open and shut quiet as often, so I decided that since it was just the hubby and me using it, I could make it nice and pretty with baskets and chalkboard labels.

kitchen


I liked the look, but I noticed that I was getting a huge overflow on the bottom and stuff in the baskets was lost and forgotten!! Surely I didn't need to stop buying....

So, I removed most of the baskets and added some Clear Better Homes & Gardens containers from Wal-Mart.  Between the clear containers and my new labels, it should be easier to see what I've got!

kitchen


I also added some bamboo lazy susans to make bottle and canned items more visible as well.  I was surprised that the bamboo ones were the same price as the plastic ones.  They were also purchased at Wal-Mart.

kitchen





The pantry door is probably my most favorite part of the entire kitchen makeover!  Silly, I know...sometimes it's just the little things!

kitchen
Here's the Before & After


pantry
Ahhhh....
I will be doing a post on my pantry soon and fill you in on all the little details that brought it together!


kitchen

So, that kind of sums up my kitchen makeover.  Now it's time to hear all about yours!  Please email me your pics  (before and afters) or just afters if you like.  I want to share your amazing work too!

Oh, I almost forgot,

May's Challenge:

HOME OFFICE SPACE

More to come on that too!

Have a great weekend,

Kim







27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable! Can you come do mine???

Kathy said...

Absolutely LOVE the spice jar organization!! I love that they are just plain jars, I always take the labels off my cars to give them a more old fashioned look. Everything looks great!!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Kathy! What a great idea to remove the labels for an old fashioned look! Thanks for stopping by!

Kim

Kelly said...

I am in LOVE with my fridg coasters too!

Unknown said...

So glad you are enjoying them Kelly!

Unknown said...

Great job - so many ideas here that I am going to borrow, Alice @ Mums Make Lists

KarenO said...

Where did you buy the fridge coasters? They look like a great idea!

Cristina Rosa-Remy said...

Absolutely wonderful! If you wouldn't mind sharing...where are your beautiful pantry jars from?

Unknown said...

Thanks Alice! I am enjoying the transformation!!

By the way, love your blog, Mums Make Lists!

Thanks for stopping by!

Kim

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Cristina!

I'm happy to share with you that I found the jars that I have on my pantry door at Hobby Lobby! I have tried to find them elsewhere but haven't been so lucky!

Thanks for stopping by www.oisfororganize.blogspot.com.

Unknown said...

Hi Karen!

I found the fridge coasters at http://fridgecoaster.com/.

They come in different colors and patterns!!

Thanks for stopping by www.oisfororganize.blogspot.com

Recreate and Decorate said...

yours looks better than mine!

Anonymous said...

Where did you get that rack on the back of the pantry door? I'm struggling to find one that fits my door...

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by! I'm not sure what the width is of your door but you might want to try this one from Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/ClosetMaid-72-in-x-18-in-8-Tier-Ventilated-Storage-Rack-8044/100189220#.UZls7L-tqX0

If that doesn't work you might try this one at Target
http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=Closetmaid+door+rack&category=0%7CAll%7Cmatchallpartial%7Call+categories&lnk=snav_sbox_Closetmaid+door+rack

Hope this helps!

Zoanna said...

Your kitchen in beautiful! So homey . I love your glass jars in the door. Wish I had a wood door to copy your idea. Ours is a metal bifold .

Kayla @ Home Coming said...

I wish I was as organized as you! I'd love if you'd like up to The DIY'ers: http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-diyers-and-some-favorites.html

Unknown said...

Hi Kayla! Thanks for stopping by! You are very kind. I definitely have my days that I don't feel so organized!!!

I would love to stop by and link up to your blog. I actually attempted to just a minute ago and there was a problem with the server. I will try again later though!

Thanks again,

Kim

Unknown said...

Hi Zoanna!

Thanks so much! Those jars put a smile on my face every time I open my pantry door! I wonder if you have any space available on a shelf in your pantry that you could possibly use a multi-tiered shelving unit to put them on. Just a thought!!

Have a great day!

Kim

Maria said...

I love how organized everything is!!!! Especially all the spices and all your pretty containers in the pantry! I really need to do that too... !!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by Maria! Putting my spices and food items in the containers has really made it efficient and easy to keep organized! And, it's been a lot easier on the eyes!

Kim

Unknown said...

Beautiful kitchen! I'm definitely pinning!

Unknown said...

Hi Renea! Thank you! I appreciate your comment and that you are going to pin my kitchen!

Made my day!

Kim

Brooke said...

Amazing! This is how organized I dream of my kitchen being. Thanks for the inspiration to get going on it! I LOVE all your cute spice jars. Thanks so much for sharing. Have a wonderful day!

Danielle said...

I LOVE all this organization goodness! =) Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog! And I use those little glass spice jars from Bed, Bath & Beyond too! Hope you have a great Wednesday!!

Danielle
SewMuchCrating.com

Unknown said...

Thanks Brooke! I love to hear when I have inspired someone to work on an organizational project! I had a lot of fun with the spice jars and they have worked out better than I expected!

Thanks for stopping by!

Kim

Unknown said...

Love the idea of the small jars! That should really help organize my herbs and spices. And how you used it in the pantry, amazing! One question though, are they glass or just really transparent plastic? It can be a concern when my kids get stuff from the pantry and accidentally drop some of them in the process. Anyways, great stuff! It’s something to look forward to the next time I do a kitchen overhaul. :)

Ryann

Unknown said...

Hi Ryann!

Yes, the jars are glass. I did find these at The Container Store that are plastic and might work for you.
http://www.containerstore.com/shop?showDS=true&Ns=default&Ntt=Plastic+jars&submit=

Thanks so much for stopping by and for your comments. I love hearing from readers.

Kim