Friday, January 25, 2013

Decorative File Folders

A couple of weeks ago I blogged about filing and told you I was on the hunt for those “ooh-la-la” decorative file folders.  I found several websites that offer some pretty neat designs, but I also found some pretty not-so-neat prices.

So, I got to thinking….what if I could make my own?  That’s when I found myself in my office/craft room rummaging through my never ending pile of scrapbooking paper. 

File Folders


 I decided on how many folders I wanted and then on the colors, and of course, ended up with my faves!!  You will want to use 12” x 12” paper, and if you don't already have sheets that size lying around your house like I do, you can purchase them for typically less than a dollar from your local craft store.

File Folders


So, besides, the paper and folders, the only other things I needed were a cutting mat,  which I already had, but you can get at a craft/sewing store; a pair of scissors; paper adhesive; and an X-acto knife.

File Folders


After I decided the order that I wanted them in, then I got to cutting and pasting!!

Here's how I did it:
Unfold the manila folder and apply the tape to the folder on one side.
File Folders


Place the paper right side up (check to make sure your pattern is going the right direction) on the bottom and side edge.

File Folders


Using your scissors, trim the side of the paper that should be hanging off one side.
File Folders


Use your X-acto knife to trim around the cut edges of the tabs on the file folder.
File Folders


You will end up with a scrap that should look something like this:

File Folders


Repeat the same steps on the opposite side of the folder.
File Folders


With one of the two scrap pieces that you are left with, tape a piece to the inside of the folder that the tab is on to finish it off.  Again, you will use your scissors and knife.  You can mix and match this piece to add variety to your folders.

File Folders

File Folders


I’m silly in love with my new folders!!!


File Folders



So, here’s before & after:

File Folders

File Folders


A fun, quick & super easy project!!


Have a great weekend,


Kim

No comments: