Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Place for Suds

As part of my Laundry Room Challenge, I decided I wanted a different type of container to keep my detergent stored in other than the same old cardboard boxes.  When I was relocating things from the laundry room to the garage before I started painting, I came across some old galvanized buckets that I have had for sometime.
I decided to use this one to store my detergent but it needed some sprucing up!
Since my daughter, Kelly, has introduced me to Annie Sloan paint, I can’t get enough of it! I knew this bucket would be perfect to use the paint on.
First, I cleaned the bucket with mild dish detergent.  If you are interested in the cleaning steps, you can click here.
The next step was painting the first color, which I chose Duck Egg.  It took about 30 – 45 minutes to dry (which felt like forever).
Once it dried, I applied the next color which was Crème.  Again, tic-toc.. tic-toc. 
The next step was sanding because I wanted to have some of the Duck Egg and metal to come through on the surface.  I used very fine sand paper, and sanded randomly throughout the bucket.
The next step was waxing, which I did with both the clear and dark wax to get the finished look that I wanted.
Annie Sloan

Annie Sloan
Now came the hard part (well…not really...but I hate waiting). I had to let it dry for 24 hours!
Fast forward….and here it is!
Annie Sloan

I added a label with some leftover scrapbooking supplies and tied it to the can with some raffia.
Did you make any items for your laundry room?  I hope you will share with us soon!
Happy Organizing!
Kim

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is absolutely adorable... i love when old things cn be spruced up and put to good use..

Unknown said...

Thank you Nene! It was sooo easy and fun to do! Do you have any Annie Sloan ideas that you are thinking about doing? Or maybe you have some that you have already done and would like to share!

Kim