Friday, February 15, 2013

Laundry Challenge Update


We are halfway through February already and hopefully your laundry room is going through a transformation that you will be so happy and satisfied with when complete! 

Over the weekend, I worked on a project that will be incorporated into my laundry room makeover.  I knew that I wanted to put some type of wording….whether it be LAUNDRY or WASH ROOM or something else and so I started my search around the house for what I could use.  I came across some burlap ribbon and it got my juices flowing.  I wasn’t able to use the ribbon but I knew what I needed.

Off to Hobby Lobby I went…

In no time at all, I found just what I was looking for, but more than I wanted to spend.  So, my search continued and I found just what I needed.

I couldn’t way to get home and put it all together.

Laundry Room Challenge

I started with cutting the fabric with about an inch overlap on each side of my cork board square. 

Laundry Room Challenge
Then I used my hot glue gun to adhere the burlap to the cork board. 

Laundry Room Challenge

Before I glued the next side, I made a diagonal cut at each corner to remove some of the bulk, and then continued the same steps for each side.  You need to pull the fabric tight as you glue each side because when you turn the cork board over you don’t want to have any slack.  If you have a couple of extra hands around the house, you may want to recruit them to help you with this step.

Laundry Room Challenge

The next step was painting my chipboard letters.  I thought I could use my small paintbrush, but switched to a 1” foam brush which made the paint go on much smoother. 

Laundry Room Challenge

Laundry Room Challenge

(Tip:  I found on Pinterest  (after the fact unfortunately) that if you use a thimble when painting something small like this, it’s a lot cleaner.

Once the letters were dry, I used hot glue again to attach them to my burlap squares.

Laundry Room Challenge


Laundry Room Challenge

Less than an hour and a half later, I was done.

Laundry Room Challenge

In case you might want to do this project yourself, here is what you will need:

Burlap fabric – no more than ½ yard  $1.99
4 letter chip boards - $.99 each (about 3 ½” tall)
1 package of 4 - 4” x 4” cork board tiles $4.99
Paint
Hot glue
Scissors
Foam brush


I was able to get the letters and cork board tiles at 30% off and the entire project was less than $10!

I can’t wait to get my laundry room makeover complete and see how the letters look in the room!

Laundry Room Challenge


Here’s a peek at my color scheme... 

Laundry Room Challenge

So, what was your first laundry room project?  Is anyone else planning to put use some type of words?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This came out great, and sounds so easy!! I can't wait for the final reveal...

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment Denise! It was super easy and I had a lot of fun doing it. I really like how inexpensive it was too! I hope you are enjoying a project you might be working on for your laundry room. Don't forget to send it in!