Thursday, February 28, 2013

Laundry Room Reveal


Wow!  Where did February go?  Did you get your laundry room makeover complete?  I put the finishing touches on mine late last night just before my daughter, Katie, came over to take the after pics! 

Which reminds me that I want to thank my hubby, Calvin, daughters, Kelly and Katie, son-in-law, Brad and sisters, Denise and Pege, for all of their help and support.  You will definitely be able to tell it was a joint effort!
Several months ago, I was in one of my favorite shops and found a light fixture I could not leave the store without!  As soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted it for my laundry room, and that began my inspiration. (I forgot to take a picture of it before it was installed, so you'll have to wait and see it in the after shots...sorry!)
The laundry room had not been painted since before we bought the house so it was definitely in need of a fresh coat!



After seeing a color that I liked on Pinterest, I thought I knew exactly what color I wanted, but when I saw it in person, realized it wouldn’t go with the rest of the house.  So, I ended up with Sherwin Williams Silvermist and I love it!


I had no plans of painting the cabinets, but my daughter said, and I quote, “Mom, you have to paint the cabinets!”  Annie Sloan to the rescue!  I could not believe how easy it was!  No sanding, scraping, soar muscles…you get the picture!


 (And there's that light fixture I could not live without....isn't it great?!!?!)

I found these switch plates when I was looking for new knobs.  I love when I can make a small inexpensive change and it makes a big impact!

When we first moved in to our home years ago, I purchased two of these metal shelving units, which I had somewhat of a system for but wasn’t really utilizing the space to its full potential.  So, they have found a new home, which is a hint to what next month’s challenge will be!



Additionally, I had a pegboard in the laundry room that I intended to use to keep some items more accessible, but it just was not being utilized in the best way.
Some of the items that were on my pegboard are now being stored in one of the cubes in my new Closemaids Cubical Storing Unit I got to replace one of the shelving units.  The pegboard has also found a new home not far from the shelving units. It was so much fun filling up the cubicles!




An unused old picture frame was used for my Martha Stewart Stain Removal basics that I mentioned in an earlier post here.


I made the labels for the baskets to match the one I made for my laundry detergent which I posted here yesterday!



The frame hanging over the unit was actually a Goodwill find! I changed out the pink and white polka dot fabric it came with and replaced it with some leftover burlap from my WASH project.


The hubby and I had fun installing the shelf over the washer and dryer. I was actually able to use a piece of leftover wood I found in the garage for the project. I couldn’t believe it was the exact size I needed, it just needed some color!  And, it gave me the perfect spot for my DIY WASH letters (see post here) I made for the room.



Before the challenge, I was using two separate units for housing the laundry.  I liked the idea of having the unit with three bags for dividing laundry and I liked having a unit to hang clothes on, but I hated how much room they took up.  Needless to say, I was ecstatic when I found this one that combines the two into one.




Finally, this rug pulls all of my colors together and was a bargain compared to other rugs that I looked at online.

And, I know everyone loves before and afters, so just to recap…





In the end, it’s still a laundry room, but I can honestly say that it is a happier place! Stay tuned because tomorrow we will post some reader makeovers!!!


I have listed below where some of the items came from and colors if interested:
1.  Wall paint color – Sherwin Williams Silvermist SW7621
2.  Cabinets paint color – Annie Sloan Crème and Clear and Dark soft wax
3.  Knobs for cabinets  and switch plates – Hobby Lobby
4.  Shelf paint color – Sherwin Williams Plantation Brown SW7520
5.  Shelving unit  and cubicles – Closetmaid 9 cubical storing unit – Wal-Mart
6.  Rug – Better Homes and Gardens – Wal-Mart
7.  3 Bag Laundry Center – Better Homes and Gardens - Wal-Mart
8.  Switch plates – Hobby Lobby

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for listing where everything came from!