Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Mardi Gras Dining Room Table


It’s Carnival Time!!!

Growing up in New Orleans, Louisiana gave me the opportunity to experience Mardi Gras for many years.  I have wonderful memories both as a child and even taking my children when they were younger.

Since I no longer live in “the Big Easy”, I don’t experience Mardi Gras quite like I used to.  However, I do enjoy keeping a part of it in my home by decorating my dining room during the Mardi Gras season and this year was no exception.

I really like to focus on my table for Mardi Gras and on Mardi Gras Day (which is Tuesday, February 12th this year), I will prepare a New Orleans style dinner followed by the traditional King Cake.  If you aren’t familiar with Mardi Gras in New Orleans, you should definitely go there and experience it.  I promise you it’s an experience you won’t forget!! You can also click here to learn more about it, but in the mean time, here's a picture of my dining room table:

Mardi Gras Decor


Mardi Gras Decor


The butterflies were a recent addition to the table.  They have a clip on the back that I used to attach them to the napkins.

Mardi Gras Decor



The crown is placed inside of a green wreath that I had leftover from Christmas and then wrapped in Mardi Gras garland that I purchased from the grocery store. 

I recently discovered a website, Dear Lillie, and was inspired by the cones that she made for Christmas, as well as her daughter’s bedroom.  It really was as simple as she said! 

On a quick trip to Hobby Lobby, I purchase three different size cones and some purple, yellow and green yarn.  I wanted different textures of yarn and they had so many to choose from.

Mardi Gras Decor


The only other items I needed were a pair of scissors, and a hot glue gun, or I could have just used regular glue.

I put a small amount of hot glue at the bottom of the cone and then place the yarn directly on top of the glue. 

Mardi Gras Decor

Then I started winding the yarn around the cone, from the bottom up, using my finger to guide it very close to the previous layer of yarn.  I did find I had a little bit of difficulty keeping the yarn on the bottom of the cone, so for the purple one, I decided to start from the top and work my way down.

Mardi Gras Decor

Mardi Gras Decor


I did find it easier to start, but then I had to cut a new piece for the very top of the cone, which was not a big deal but when I started from the bottom up, I didn’t have to do that extra step. 

The green and yellow went fairly quickly but the purple one took about two hours because the thread was fine and I wanted it on the biggest cone.

Mardi Gras DIY


I found the perfect spot for them in my dining room and added the Mardi Gras boa and placed each cone on different stands I had around the house.

Mardi Gras DIY



This was a fun and relaxing project.  I had plenty of yarn leftover and plan to make more for some family members.  Hmmm….I wonder who they might be!

Happy Organizing & Mardi Gras!!

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I know I could sure use some!!!!!

Unknown said...

Imagine that, Kelly!