One thing I often hear from my clients is that they get so overwhelmed when they just THINK about organizing. I often respond with “if you are looking at the whole thing at once, it probably is overwhelming.” I would venture to say that most people don’t walk into a room, see what needs to be done and have oodles of time to do it all at once.
It’s like that old saying “Rome wasn’t built in a day”. By breaking things down into smaller pieces it allows us to think more clearly how to tackle each piece.
Here are some tips that might help:
- Assess the situation/problem.
- What is currently working and what isn’t?
- Ask yourself, “What do I want the final product to look like?
- Design a plan. Example: a shelf in the laundry never stays clean and orderly. A plan would be:
- Remove everything from shelf
- Wipe shelf clean
- Decide what needs to go back on shelf
- Determine container for items returning
- Label container
5. Implement the plan.
Organizing doesn’t have to be a painful experience. Take some deep breaths. Relax. Stay calm. Enjoy the process and the results!!